Current Time: 15:26:04 EST

Global Server/ WordPress Issues – Resolved

Posted In: Outage — Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:05 pm EST by IX: Customer Relations

Incident Description:

There is currently a large scale, world-wide brute force attack in progress on the default WordPress login pages. A brute-force attack is when an automated program (sometimes called a ‘botnet’) tries to break into a password protected site by repeatedly attempting to log in with different passwords until it finds the right one.

To be clear, this issue is not specific to IX Web Hosting. In fact, this attack is affecting all WordPress users around the world, and virtually every web hosting company.

This attack was greatly affecting our Linux servers, causing them to be slow and to go down at times.

Initially, in order to keep the brute force attack from breaking into customers’ sites and compromising them, we temporarily blocked all IP access to wp-login.php. We realize this may have been inconvenient, as it prevented anyone (even the site owner) from logging in to update website content, but this allowed for three important things:

1. It prevented malicious software the ability to access, compromise, or delete our customers’ WordPress files.

2. It allowed WordPress sites to remain active (viewable).

3. It removed the strain from our servers so that they didn’t slow down or go offline.

We have now implemented a server-wide module that filters out the malicious connections, and we have removed the IP block from wp-login.php. Users should now be able to login to their WordPress admin areas to make changes to their sites.

We will continue to work on this issue and will update you on the situation as we get more information.

Which Customers are Impacted?

All customers on Linux servers.

How are Customers Impacted?

Sites may be slow or down.

How often will we be updated?

As updates are available.

Time to Resolution (ETA)

n/a

Incident Updates

• 4/11/2013 6:18 PM- Unfortunately because of the scale of this attack we are unable to pinpoint and block certain only IP addresses. We are still working on coming up with a permanent solution to this matter. We will update again with more information when it becomes available.

• 4/13/2013 2:47 PM- This issue is still ongoing. We apologize for the inconvenience. This is a worldwide issue. Our administrators are working as quickly as they can to find a more permanent resolution to this problem.

• 4/16/2013 2:45PM- Over the weekend we began implementing a module that would filter out the malicious connections on our servers. This module is now running on all servers and users should now be able to login to wp-admin and update their site. The attack is still ongoing but this module seems to be keeping it at bay.

Resolution Description

n/a

posted in Outage by IX: Customer Relations

168 Comments to "Global Server/ WordPress Issues – Resolved"

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Melissa Compton says:

An ETA on time to resolution is very important here. I have clients that are relying on their websites being up. Can you please update your ETA here?

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Herb Goodman says:

This may not be the perfect solution, but there are a few very effective and free plugins that attempt to mitigate such attacks and are often customizable. One example is called ‘Limit Login Attempts’ and my name should link to it.

One thing I feel compelled to say is that you should NEVER use the default ‘admin’ account on any wordpress installation…period! You should always create a new account with both a complex username and password, and give it all the administrative rights, then log in using that account and DELETE the original auto generate admin account. This will assure you they will NEVER guess that password.

Unfortunately, I have noticed quite a few new usernames being used inplace of the standard ‘admin’ Admin’ the last few day’s, maybe a week. It looks like they are using the same weak password list you see published from time to time for the usernames. So again, strong passwords and usernames are of the utmost importance!

One final thing, keep your WordPress installation and all your plugins up-to-date!

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Melissa Compton says:

I appreciate the suggestion and will totally implement, thank you. The current problem is that I can’t implement until the sites are back up and running.

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Hello Melissa,

Unfortunately we do not have a definite ETA on the issue, but we have suggested the blocking of the wp-login page as suggested in our update. When we have more information to provide or a permanent solution we will be sure to update accordingly. Thank you

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Brenden says:

WOW!!! This is ridiculous. Honestly I thought it was just me but now that I see this, I can stop beating myself up over the $12,000 I have lost so far. My clients are dropping like flies because of this egregious debockle.

Thu, April 11th, 2013

Hello Brenden,

We apologize about the problems you have experienced, and we are working hard on trying to find a resolution for this issue. We would be glad to speak with you if you have any further questions or comments we can accommodate. We are available 24/7 via live chat, phone, or by submitting a ticket.

Thu, April 11th, 2013

YolkRegion.ca says:

Is it just me, or are things starting to look better? I’m seeing more traffic and fewer lost connections. There may be hope!

abc says:

when i wp-login.php…all sites all down,i think my IP
was blocked by server…when will be back?god

IX: Luna F. says:

Hello,

The wp-login issue will not block your IP. Your domains will remain accessible, however you will not be able to log into the admin control panel. Please clear your cache and reload your site.

abc says:

please back to normal ASAP,thank you!!

brendan's debocle says:

Brendans debockle = hilarious. How do you lose $12,000? Why didn’t you pause your ads? client’s dropping like flies? LOL … take two chill pills and apologize to your clients tomorrow

abc says:

still when i login the wordpress admin page,all down,ip still blocked by server..

Luca says:

I hope will be resolved soon … good job guys

abc says:

still error…

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hello Abc,

Please give us a call or contact our chat or ticket system if you are having further issues.

abc says:

still block my ip,when i login the wp-admin

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hello Abc,

Please contact our phone ticket or chat line for support help.

Thank you.

Junior Justin says:

at least let us know by when we can expect resolution. what do you leave us to tell our clients?

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hi Junior,

I am very sorry we do not have an ETA at this time. Server performance should be improving. If it is not please give us a call. As listed in the updates section we do have a work around if you need to get into the WordPress back end.

need says:

please hurry,i dont like to change wp-login’s name
thank you!

Jason says:

My annoyance is why didn’t you guys send out an email as soon as this happened notifying us there was this issue, instead of me beating around my head trying to figure what was going on. This has been a professional disservice for not telling us this.

Rich says:

A whole lotta frustration going on here. I note that this problem started somewhere around 24 hours ago by looking at the time stamp of the original post. As much as I can appreciate the fact that a brute force attack can be difficult to deal with – when it stretches on this long and is costing people more money as time passes, it becomes less easy to be understanding – expecially when it appears that there is no end in sight….

Junior Justin says:

My site says under-construction (http://www.jdpvision.com) that’s not what i paid for, $107 should be refunded if you’re giving poor service. Thank you.

Deb says:

Are you aware that the link you have to fix the backend WP issues at the top of htis page is 3 years old and is discussing WP 3.0?? Probably not a good idea.

Ashwin Rao says:

It’s not just limited to IX. I can see most of the web hosting industry is suffering from this attack. It’s the time we should really think about securing our blogs. First, change the default admin username to different one and use the secure passwords. It’s very stressful shifts for IX Support and we support you.

Mercime says:

As Ashwin mentioned above, the brute-force attacks are not limited to IXWebhosting as other hosting services are experiencing the very same.

What’s going on -> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/brute-force-attacks-and-wordpress?replies=1

What it is and how to protect your WordPress installations (plugins also listed) -> http://codex.wordpress.org/Brute_Force_Attacks

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank IXWebhosting.com crew for being proactive and open about the issue in the first place and for protecting the servers very well. All my clients’ and friends’ sites hosted here with different accounts have “weathered the storm.”

Cheers.

MikeB says:

Almost 24 hours since last update? Any news?

Douggro says:

A good read at http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/04/brute-force-attacks-build-wordpress-botnet/

Hosting providers and account holders all over are in the same boat as we are. Yep, it’s upsetting to us end-users. Initially I thought this was an issue isolated to IX, but we now know that’s not the case. At the moment, my domains are back up to near-normal performance levels, so the SA’s at IX deserve a little cred for the work they’ve done on damage control.

Follow the advice and password-protect the /wp-login directory and use robust passwords.

Robbie Antenesse says:

Hey IX guys,

I just want to say thank you for your hard work trying to get this under control. I work in IT and our website was just attacked by a DDoS last week, and our web team was going crazy trying to get the site back up and get everything figured out.

Please don’t let all these frustrated people get to you. It sucks, but it’s affecting everybody. If anyone else reads this, please remember that we’re all in the same crummy boat, and it’s not IX’s fault that they were attacked. Don’t burn the victim, alright?

Thanks again, IX team. Good luck making a speedy recovery!

Griffin says:

I’m dubious about this… I’ve worked with other hosting for 6 years and never saw an attack like this or one that lasted so long… or even a hosting to disable all wp-admin login pages?

Quoted from above: “We are currently experiencing issues where there is a brute force attack on the default wordpress login pages of our customers. To be clear this is something that is affecting all users of WordPress regardless of their hosting provider.” – Not true as far as I’m concerned, I have 13 other wp sites on other hosting and I haven’t had a single glitch in wp login or otherwise… so seems it’s only limited to this hosting really…

I also went to chat when I discovered I couldn’t even get the login page to load and was curtly given the url of this blog and sent on my way with no eta on fix or any further information.

This was over 1.5 hrs ago, I had my client from Mexico on the phone and I couldn’t even login to her site… then I had to explain that her hosting was being hacked… sorry but my business is too important to me for this stuff to happen and last so long… Sadly, I am moving all my stuff to another server in the morning… Wishing luck to IX.

Griffin says:

However, let me add this comment as well…

I’ve had a pretty high amount of alerts for blocked login attempts from my wp security on other sites during last night… so I suspect the attack may be widespread as they claim, and probably fairly serious… however, this is the only one of my 14 sites which has gone down at all… and the only site hosted here… sorry IX…

Rick Hepting says:

One does wonder why all of the sites that I host on other hosting services are back working and all of the ones I have here at IX are still blocked? I run many sites for customers on many hosting companies. Do you really have people here that know what they are doing?

Bob Siegel says:

I do not blame IX for the problem. They cannot help it if there is a widespread attack. But I do agree with some of the comments complaining about the infrequency of the updates and the fact that some of us were trying to figure this out for hours yesterday before contacting IX and then learning of this link which explains the situation. I realize that if the problem is not yet fixed there is not much detail to share and perhaps it feels easier to say nothing then to report for the umpteenth time that the situation still isn’t fixed. I get that. Still, as a polite gesture toward clients, there should be at least a sentence or two at least every couple of hours. Say anything: “Still working on it.” “We haven’t forgotten you.” etc.

IX people, I do not say this with any intention to make your job more difficult but we are your clients, we deserve one or two sentences of communication here and there. Anyway, I wish you well in the effort to restore things. Thanks for lending an ear.

Kevin C says:

Thanks for the attempt to prevent the attacks, but as a business, with customers, it would have been great to have been notified that there was an issue from you – my host provider, rather than hearing it from my clients and having to come to you to find out that there is such a big issue going on.

You can globally block all access to wp-login, but you can’t mass email your clients? Or somehow notify us?

Overall, I’m still happy with the hosting, but this was a bit of a sting since it’s still ongoing and there’s no ETA on the issue being resolved.

Please notify us when this is all clear!

need says:

still?

need says:

still block my ip…i cant update all the blog about two days…please hurry up

MikeB says:

I appreciate both sides here but I agree with all the posters that are asking for any type of courtesy update. Even if it’s just a “still working on it” message. This reminds me of waiting for National Grid to turn our power back on after a bad storm. Just waiting and waiting never knowing when it’s going to come back on.

need says:

oh ,i found not block ip now,but still cant login the admin page of wordpress

Jason says:

I 100% agree with Kevin C.

Jason says:

…exactly what I said.

Luke Lukas says:

I have slow websites that don’t have wordpress.

Jason says:

This makes your support seem like a joke without any correspondence notifying us of when the attack first occurred or any ongoing status update at all.

“Trusted. Safe. Reliable.”

…you’re right.

Peacepole1 says:

Out of curiousity – why “wordpress” sites.

Why you? I mean do you host someone that is big enough to be the subject of an attack like this which is in turn impacting everyone?

What besides blocking wp-login are you doing?

jackmass says:

still…..OH  my god !

need says:

hurry up!!!!

jackmass says:

i am waiting. i have lost my $1300 !!!!!!!!!! shit!! i hate ixwebhosting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Douggro says:

For all you screamers posting: if you are hiding some great idea on how to deal with a distributed attack coming from 90,000 IP addresses, speak up with it!! Otherwise, STFU. Well, unless you really don’t mind having your site hacked and turned into a bot for some hacker group.

Most of you are paying less than $100 per year for someone to operate and maintain a web server for you. That’s cheap in comparison to the amount you would spend even to have your own hardware co-lo’ed somewhere, and you’d still have to have the time and knowledge to maintain it.

I admin my own server at home, and have admin’ed servers where I’ve worked, and it’s a butt-puckering experience when you’re looking at logs showing someone trying to break into your server and get at your data. I can only imagine what the admins at IX have been trying to deal with. Locking out access to wp-login is a logical solution to stem the flood of HTTP requests that were bogging the servers to a crawl. Since this is a widespread attack, IX isn’t the only one working to develop a permanent solution – it’s just going to take some time and patience to get there.

re says:

oh my ladygaga…still have this problem…

Billy says:

Yep this sucks… hurry up… Im glad I found this because yesterday I got told by Vladmir in help support that it was my ISP causing these problems :S

Hurry tho…

Nathan Oosthuizen says:

8 hours later and my Ip is still blocked. I cannot access any of my sites. After 7 years I may have to move to a different provider. I am very unhappy. And no updates to the status which is unforgivable!

Rick Hepting says:

I have to retract my previous negativity towards IX here. I now realize the extent of this attack and see that blocking wp-login is a sensible thing to do until the attack is ended. I used the ‘fix’ mentioned at the beginning of this alert and it works great, allowing me access back into my websites’ administration. Thank you for giving this info.

I am now back in business. :)

Alessandro Ituarte says:

Hey guys, I appreciate you blocking the attacker IPs for our own security.
But I was banned from my website for trying to login to the admin page, do I have to create a ticket to be unblocked, or will it unblock itself after a while?

Hope you can figure something out, keep up the good work guys.

MikeB says:

I can’t access my ftp or my file manager so I can’t even use the workaround. How about an update IX dudes?

Exercise your customer service skills guys. Here I’ll do it for you:

“We apologize for the inconvenience this causes and understand the frustration of our valued customers. Please know that we are working around the clock to get this resolved. We will be posting any updates and/or solutions as we work through this difficult situation. Thank you for your continued business.”

re says:

still have ploblem…godsh

wmtipton says:

Well, I guess this decides for me whether to build a conventional site by hand or use WordPress.
Certainly not worth the aggravation of not being able to log in and make changes because some fools want to ruin things for everyone else.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why I couldnt log into WP today.

Sherry says:

Any update. This “update” is two days old. TWO DAYS.

Sherry says:

I was able to access the sites via FTP with no problem. And I could change any left over admin users via the control panel phpMyAdmin, but not being able to log in is a problem still. I am not having this problem on the other servers I host WP sites on, only this one.

Robert says:

Any chance of getting some sort of update on ETA for a resolution to this problem? I was able to use the workaround on one a test site that I set up, but can’t get it to work on my production sites. Don’t want to take too many chances and really screw things up.

PLEASE – GIVE US AN UPDATE…

IX: Jared says:

Hello all,

I just got into the office today, and I’d like to cover a few of the questions you guys have about this attack.

@Peacepole1: This is a global attack that is hitting every WordPress site. It is not just hitting one person’s site. as we have multiple server, this would not cause a large problem.

@Alessandro/Nathan: All external IPs have been blocked. The WP-admin pages can only be accessed within our network. These attacks use a “botnet” which consists of computers form every area around the world, making it impossible to accurately block just some IP addresses.

@MikeB: You should be able to access your FTP and File Manager. Please contact our 24/7 support team and we will look into this issue further for you.

@Everyone: I apologize for the infrequency of updates. I am currently attempting to get an update from our system admins, however, it seems there may not be anything to report yet. All that I can tell you is that this attack is still going on around the world, regardless of whether anyone is using IX Web Hosting. I greatly apologize for your inconvenience. I can’t access my WordPress sites either, so I am waiting right alongside you guys.

For the time being, you will be unable to access your wp-login.php page. As soon as it is safe to allow this, we will do so. IF we allowed it right now, likely anyone who has a simple WordPress password would have their site hacked. We certainly don’t want that to happen.

Luca says:

Is there a chance you guys allow access to the wp-admin to only our IP and block the rest? I have a static IP and this could be an easy solution to the problem ;)

IX: Jared says:

Hello Luca, due to the nature of these attacks, we cannot unblock any IP addresses outside of our network. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Lando Calrissian says:

I changed my wp-admin.php file and I was able to type in my username and password however it redirected me to wp-login.php and I got IP banned again.

I can’t find a wp-login.php file in the file browser. Any ideas?

IX: Jared says:

Hello Lando,

The solutions can be found here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-change-from-wp-loginphp-to-login. You will need to implement all of these steps before you can log in.

Feel free to let us know if you run into any issues doing this!

the1after909 says:

Would submitting our WP sites to CloudFlare help prevent these problems? It’s free and couldn’t hurt, could it?

Bill says:

Ok, it seems that this world wide attack on wordpress is effecting other hosts as well and it seems that other hosting support entities have already came up with a solution to the problem and they are not blocking the wp-login file. It would seem reasonable at this point to google the solution that hostgator (sorry for mentioning a competitor) and others have implemented, and determine if that solution would work here at IX.
The attacks could last weeks, maybe even months and to block everyone from the wp-login file will only drive customers away. I realize support is working hard on this issue, but really we are going on day 3 with no relief in sight.

IX: Jared says:

@the1after909: Potentially, but not entirely. That is certainly something you can try, however, we do not specifically promote or support their service.

@Bill: I know that our admins are working on a more permanent solution. Unfortunately, that is all the information I have at the moment. I will update the blogs with anything further I have for you. I apologize for the long wait, and assure you that we will do our best to resolve this permanently as soon as possible.

Luca says:

Jared,

Thank you very much for your support and keeping us informed.

Once you fix the problem please take into consideration allowing the access to the wp-amin to only a selected range of IP by country, this will reduce the risk of any further issues.

Having an IP deny manager in your Cpanel, as most hosting providers offer, could really benefit us and help us secure our websites!

Mike says:

*sigh* Wish I would’ve seen this about two days ago.

This is unbelievably frustrating. In all fairness, I understand the intent, and it’s a good intent. It’s just very aggravating that there was no communication about this.

I did a lot of work on my site last week, tweaking plugins and whatnot. I came back to work on it some more, and I could not get to the login page. Naturally, I thought it was something I had done, and proceeded to spend hours upon hours tearing my hair out, trying to figure out what could be breaking my site.

Finally, I threw in the towel and went to open a ticket to see if anything had changed on the server side. Just for grins, I clicked on the “existing issues” link, and stumbled across this.

I can appreciate needing to keep your servers from getting hammered by an attack. What I don’t appreciate is the lack of communication in doing so. If you’re going to block access to a portion of the sites your clients have stood up, it would be nice to have some kind of email notification, some kind of banner on admin page… SOMETHING. I’ve wasted a lot of hours on a wild goose chase.

If something like this DID go out, and I just overlooked it, I will gladly apologize and eat my words. I certainly didn’t see anything, though.

You make me sad…

the1after909 says:

@Luca: I like the idea of having an IP deny (and whitelist) in the Cpanel. How about it IX?

the1after909 says:

@Mike: I agree, better communication would save us all a lot of time and heartache.

Brandon says:

@Luca, i like that idea as well, it’s not difficult to gather the IP’s of those who need site access.

IX: Jared says:

@Luca: Blocking IPs by country will not work in this case. Botnets are made by enslaving(infecting with viruses) computers around the world. These attacks are not only coming from one country. In fact, it is fairly likely a lot of it comes from the US.

As far as the IP deny manager, we do not use Cpanel at the moment. We are looking to upgrade to Cpanel in the future, but it has not been done yet. I do not know if any similar capabilities exist, but they are looking into and testing alternates to the system we put in place for the time being. I spoke to one of our admins, and we are still waiting on a permanent fix.

@Mike: I am very sorry about that. I do see how that could have improved the situation a bit. I’ll be sure to mention that to the appropriate people on Monday.

@Brandon: I do not know for sure if that is a possibility. However, it seems that would be fairly complicated if there is not already a system in place, especially with most residential customers using dynamic IPs.

Thanks for hanging in there guys – we’ll get an update out as soon as we can.

re says:

oh no,still cant login the wp-admin…

Brandon says:

In the search for more information on what exactly is going on, I came across an article (linked in my name).

If gives some info on whats going on across all wordpress sites, not just those hosted with IX. For those feeling left in the dark, I highly recommend reading it.

mike says:

I wanted to try and implement the recommend change at the top of this post at least long enough to change over all the admin accounts of my wordpress sites. But I can’t even ftp to the sites right now. And yet I have no problem loading the IX site and it’s features. Why is that different?

Billy says:

This is not happening on any of my other hosts to confirm… I have fine access to all my servers in Australia ..

Since this has already lasted days, is IX basically telling us we should move to the servers that are actually working and that you cant host wordpress?

I dont want this to drag out for weeks, I literally cant afford to sit here and not work until you guys get your shit together like my other hosts…

Maahir says:

========ohhh Please ======== …. Don’t leave this on admin , They would not be able to fix this kind of challenging issues. You need to involve WordPress experts and Web developers now to come up with permanent solution.

I am not able to understand that why IX Webhosting is gaming with IPs from last 4 days from the issue has been reported.

Please understand that you cant keep people for toss for your experiments (The IP Game).

a simple solution i could think of

Hire a word press experts who has developed few plugins , ask him to design a robust solution for you for changing login URL.
OR
Implement a hosting wide wordpress standards, automate it for notification sending capabilities.

===========For your kind information ====== Solution of changing htaccess file is not working because of your IP Gaming ideology[Technology]

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the updates. For anyone still having issues either logging in or making the changes listed in the article, please give us a call or contact our chat support line so we can help you get into your WordPress sites.

I will be updating the blog with this shortly, but in the WordPress link it says to update the functions.php file as well. This functions.php is the one located in your theme.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we continue to work to find a better solution.

re says:

still cant login…my gosh!

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hello Re,

If you need help and can not login please give us a call or contact our chat system. I can not pull up your account to help you with the information you give us on the blog.

Robert says:

I’ve been able to use the workaround suggested in the incident updates, but only for my sites where WP is installed in the domain root (e.g., http://www.mysite.com). I haven’t been able to get it to work where I have WP installed in a sub-directory (e.g., http://www.mysite.com/blog/). I’m still noodling over the code to try to figure out why it’s not working and will post an update here if and when I do so. In either case you still have the problem of logging out (via the ribbon bar drop-down), but it seems to get you far enough through the process to actually indicate that you are logged out.

If anybody has any insight into why the workaround doesn’t work with sub-directories I would appreciate their input.

THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION IS FOR IXWEBHOSTING TO PROVIDE A RESOLUTION OR A USEFUL WORKAROUND.

sam says:

Well Robyn M, I followed your directions and went to the ‘chat’ system since I am still unable to login.

In the form of helping me, as you indicate the process will, received this link:

i.e., this blog.

What now, since ‘chat’ doesn’t seem to ‘help’. Can you provide an update? Any update?

sam says:

Is anybody at IX reading this blog?

IX: Chris B says:

Hello Sam, I am sorry for any delay in the response here. We did take a look at your site and it does now work if you use sitename/folder/login. I simply followed the steps that were described in the article we mentioned. It seems that for the subfolder you may only have to do the new rewrite rule in the .htaccess file. Please check your site now because the login page should now display.
Thanks!

sam says:

Chris B. I am a novice, not computer literate. But, when I access this link, it doesn’t work. This is the link I’ve always used:

I’ve no idea how to edit the .htaccess file, or where to even find it. I only pay for this site and post to the blog. I don’t have any idea how to fix it.

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hi Sam. We fixed it for you. Now if you go to samyann.com/wp/login you can login to WordPress. If you need further help please call us or put in a ticket so we don’t discuss account information on the blog. Thanks!

sam says:

Sure, since it still doesn’t work. I get the login page, click log in, the url itself changes to http://samyann.com/wp/wp-login.php

and then it ‘hangs’

so, no. You didn’t fix it.

Doug Franklin says:

What you did for Samyann? I need for you to do that for me.

Robert says:

I’ve been able to get the workaround provided in the Incident Update above to work. Not perfect, but at least you can log on to do administration. As the author of the workaround mentioned, there are a few situations where a link will still point to the wp-login.php file, and you will run into problems. But for most basic admin functions you should be ok.

The key is that you have to implement BOTH parts of the workaround. You need to update the .htaccess file in the base directory into which you’ve installed WordPress. If it’s in the root directory, then the .htaccess code provided will work as-is. If you’ve installed WordPress in a sub-directory then you will have to change the RewriteBase to reflect this fact. So, for example, if you’ve installed WordPress in a sub-directory named “blog”, then the RewriteBase command will have to look like this:

RewriteBase /blog/

Obviously, if you’ve installed it several levels down from your root directory then the RewriteBase will have to reflect that.

The second part of the workaround is equally important. You must install the add_filter code in the functions.php file of your currently active theme (/wp-content/themes/yourtheme). Otherwise the workaround will not work.

Hope this helps – good luck!

PS: This will probably be a temporary solution only as the botnet creators will figure this out and adapt their code to try /login. But, the workaround doesn’t care what name you use, so you can change it to “mylogin” or “x34llqz88eft” or whatever you like. Just make sure to use the same name in both parts of the workaround.

IX: Chris B says:

@ Robert – Thank you for wonderful information and insight on this. I’m sure you alone have helped a couple people understand this a little better.

@ Sam – We took another look and your site is now working at samyann.com/wp/login. It was a detailed fix unfortunately so it would be difficult to explain in this post. We are looking to see if we can find another post to better explain this fix as well. Also note the fix we did for you was only because the add_filter code didn’t seem to work for your site when put in the themes functions.php file.

@ Doug Franklin – Please do call in or try the post we mentioned originally. It seems the post we linked to originally works for almost everyone but there may be some people who it does not work for. We are trying to find another post or article to better explain in detail what to do in that case.

Maria says:

If we do the above changes to our WordPress files, is this a temporary or permanent fix? If so, how temporary?

Hello Maria,

This would be a temporary fix until we are able to find the more permanent solution. Unfortunately we still do not have an exact time frame on when this would be.

re says:

still cant login the wp-admin….

Hello Re,

Please give us a call, contact live chat, or submit a ticket with the problems you’re having.

Gagan Singhal says:

Still I am not able to login my blogs.

Arun Godwin says:

Still unable to login to the admin area of blogs.. Its really bad, many of the other hosts like EIG found the solution and able to access the blogs admin area. I have already places tickets with 3 of my blogs can’t update, the agent just provided me this url and closed the ticket 2221215

Doug Franklin says:

I guess I’ll wait for the permanent fix… the last solution is way too complex for me.

re says:

same with Doug Franklin

Software says:

I was considering whether to need to move a other webhosting, 2 days can;t update

Doug Franklin says:

My friends have recommended several hosting services to me, one that never went down and several that were down for like 6 hours and solved the problem.

re says:

when will be back?

fairmonster says:

the last solution is bad,also the same result,can’t login…

hmkcode says:

Other hosts are not blocking the access to login page!

emadhn says:

Is there a reason why my whole wordpress site is down?

Олег says:

Почему так долго? Надо сайт доделывать.

Douggro says:

Another fix that doesn’t rely on using .htaccess mods is to do a Search and Replace for “wp-login.php” in the source code for your site. Of course, this requires that you either have a copy of your WordPress directory located on your computer or that you download it from your IX hosting account. You could download/upload the WordPress directory from the File Manager tool in your IX Control Panel if you don’t have a dedicated FTP client.

I used Dreamweaver to accomplish the search and replace, but it could also be done with text editors like BBEdit, TextWrangler, or other programs that can perform text searches of files within a directory.

I replaced all the instances of “wp-login.php” in my site files and uploaded the changed pages. I can now successfully log into my WordPress admin.

Billy says:

For those with more complex setups with wordpress, it seems like doing the temporary fix is just a recipe for further disaster.

I have a weird instance where 1 ix web server works and another ix web servers doesnt work on the wp-admin / login files. explain that.. lol?

hmkcode says:

If the attack is targeting Linux server, why not to move us to Windows server? This will be seamless and it will show how much you care about customers.

Kaveshan Chetty says:

Some sites are slow to login if not logining in at all… Thank you IX for trying your best.. Unfortunately i assume we need to wait out the bot attack?

Markus says:

5 days and no solutions? I’m sorry but I’m not happy of IXweb.

Miles says:

Markus, I agree. Another site we admin is on Network Solutions, and 1.) They blocked wp-admin files for us automatically and didn’t make us hack through ridiculous “fixes” and 2. right now everything is working perfectly.(and I didn’t have to spend hours screwing around with some complicated dumb “fix”)

Miles says:

I may be recommending to the client very shortly to switch hosting if this doesn’t get fixed within 24 hours. I know the issue isn’t in your control but 1.) Your support has no idea what they are talking about half the time and are unhelpful in terms of troubleshooting. 2.) It sounds like your IT team is blundering around, probably took the weekend off and are going to lose a lot of customers because of it. Better get a fire under your tails guys.

chinacompanion says:

5 days and no solutions!

no1ledlight says:

when the problem can be solved?

Silversurfer says:

I cannot believe that this is happening, now 5 days…, and no light at the end of the tunnel. Is IX really this unprepared for these types of occurrences? Go Daddy is running fine, Network Solutions is also. My site will not even come up. Keeps saying Failure to open page. I have 500- 600 visits a day and cannot have this right now!! I know it may not seem a lot to some, but the info that they are coming for means tons to my business. Is anyone have trouble with their sites coming up?

Jess says:

The public side of my site was down for a few hours on Friday. I contacted Chat Support and they got it back up, but I still can’t login to my WP Dashboard.

What’s really irritating is I contact IX Chat Support TWICE about not being able to access my WP Dashboard before I knew it was mass attacks. They gave me the PHP errors my site was throwing and (to their credit) got the public side of my site back up.

They didn’t give me this URL until I specifically asked about the mass attacks which I found out about through the WP Support Forums.

Most of the time I’m happy with IX service/support – today I’m not…and if this keeps up, it’ll be bye-bye IX, hello GoDaddy!

IX: Chris B says:

Hello Miles,
I am sorry that this has gone on as long as it has. We do have the fixes that we have linked to correct these problems and we are working on a more permanent fix. I do understand that this effects everything and we are working on getting this under control and getting a better/more efficient fix. Once we have more information we will make sure to let you know. Also if you called our tech support we should be able to fix this for you relatively quickly. Our chat support should also be able to fix it for you as well. Please create a ticket if either of those don’t work out so we can address that for you.
Thanks!

IX: Chris B says:

@ Chinacompanion, no1ledlight – I am sorry that this has gone on so long. We are working on a more permanent fix but if you follow either of the instructions we have provided you will be able to get in the back end of your site and be able to work on your site again. Contact us by phone or chat and we should be able to help you with this. As always you can create a ticket in your account as well.
Thanks!

IX: Chris B says:

@ Silver Surfer- I am sorry that this has gone on for this long. I looked up and saw that you have 2 accounts it seems with us and all of your sites are pulling up for me as of now. If they are not working on your end please give us a call or contact chat support or even feel free to create a ticket so we can look into this with some more detail. Also when you call or create a ticket please let us know which site you are referring to so we can pinpoint which site is having the issue for you.
Thanks!

IX: Chris B says:

@Jess – I am sorry that you had the issues with the chat support. We are trying to address that because we know many people contact us via chat. If you are still unable to get into your admin panel please contact us via phone and we can take a look for you and should be able to get you into your admin panel.
Thanks!

ashley says:

I was able to login to one of my WordPress sites as of 11:38am EST. Maybe things are slowly being resolved??

Paul says:

Just my luck, you guys are having issues when it’s time to renew my account. 5 days is totally unacceptable. It’s a good thing I backed up all my databases. now i can go search for a new host that hopefully has a better staff to handle these issues. You guys have done a terrible job managing this issue. I have been an IX customer since 2007, and i never had any issue before, but i guess all it takes is one.

Clint says:

FYI, if you are not using a login limiter or more secure plug-in like Better WP Security, you should check them out.

Better WP Security recommends you change your wp_ tables and a lot of other stuff, and sends you a backup of your SQL database on a periodic basis.

ashley says:

Scratch that…I ‘was’ able to login to one of my WordPress sites earlier this morning but now I can’t. So I’m not sure what that means. Well here’s to hoping it’s up sooner rather than later.

Alessandro Ituarte says:

@Paul, It’s not IXWeb’s fault. I have friends that use other hosting providers and everyone is a target of this issue.

Actually IXWeb has done a great job of protecting their users, by blocking the attacker IPs, otherwise everyone using “admin” as a username would probably already had their account stolen, other hosting providers haven’t done even that.

I know it sucks to have issues with your site, im on the same train, just letting you know that changing providers won’t solve your problems.

ashley says:

Has anyone tried the temporary fix? It seems kind of complicated.

Shawn says:

Well it seems that this update indicates only admin access is being affected. This is not the case the front end is down for all of our sites. We have many unhappy customers and cannot even develop our new sites as all our dev sites are hosted through IX as well. :(

Evaldas says:

How long is it gonna take cause I am loosing traffic/revenue and patience!?
I don’t wanna use any other method to log-on my blog but the one using wp-login.php. I’ve always had a very slow loading speed but this one killed me. I think it’s time for changes.

Paul says:

Thanks Alessandro that’s good to know. I started to lose faith. i will try and stick this out.

Hello Paul,

I apologize about the problems you have experienced recently. Unfortunately this is a world wide issue and not something that’s specifically associated with our company. We are still working on a permanent fix for this problem. You can use the updated information to gain access to the admin area if you need to make changes to your domains.

Hello Ashley,

If you’re having troubles logging in please give us a call so we can look and see if there are other issues causing you not to log in.

Hi Evaldas,

Unfortunately we are not sure how long this is going to take for use to resolve this matter permanently. We suggest using the steps we’ve outlined if you need to make changes to your domains. If you’re having any trouble please give us a call and we can have a closer look into the problems you’re having.

Hi Shawn,

Please give us a call so we can have a look at why your sites are down. Only the admin area should be affected by this attack.

Lauren says:

I just wanted to thank the IX team for their continued efforts. The new temporary solution works like a charm. Just remember to delete wp-login.php after you create the new login.php file (I couldn’t login until I had done so).

If anyone is still having troubles, I’d recommend contacting the IX team personally. They’ve been patient with me and have offered a loud of help and sound advice. I am very appreciative, and so are my clients.

melanie says:

Changing the login page name as a *fix*!!? You have got to be kidding me…All the other hosts I have sites with have mitigated this attack without shutting users out. Maybe you should check with them to see what they did without shutting out real users from logging in. Although Bluehost did this last week for a short period of time they at least gave hourly updates. My client is up for renewal now maybe I can get him to move to another host finally.

ashley says:

@Omari J. – So we can log in now? I thought this was disabled because of the attack? However, I do not see any update on a resolution. I’m confused.

IX: Omari J. says:

@Ashley – The wp-login.php has been disabled. The attack is still going on, but this is a work around which renames the login file that is not blocked. If you’re still having troubles we can review your issue if you call in.
@Melanie – It is possible other hosts have found a resolution for their companies. Unfortunately our systems work differently than theirs which is why we are still figuring out a permanent solution for this matter.

ashley says:

@Omari J. – Okay, so do you recommend doing the temporary fix or just waiting until there is a more permanent solution?

IX: Omari J. says:

@Ashley – Stick with the temporary fix for now since we can’t give an estimate on when we’ll have something more permanent put in place.

Pat says:

All of my sites have been blocked. This is INSANITY. How can I install a plugin to prevent the brute force attack when you have all my sites blocked.

This is the most ignorant way of handling a problem I have ever seen. While individuals are responsible for maintaining site security IX WEBHOSTING is responsible for maintaining security as well.

It is unthinkable that you throw the burden entirely on the hosted community and assume little to no responsibility yourselves.

Clint says:

I’ve found a solution that works for me on 3 of my sites so far, and it survives WP updates – if you have FTP to your files. Save your entire site to a local folder first if you haven’t already. Go to your wordpress directory on your server and copy wp-login.php to login.php. I use FileZilla to view/edit server files so adjust the process to fit your FTP program (or if you need to edit locally). Edit login.php to change all instances of wp-login to login. Go to wp-includes and do the same for general-template.php. This should be just sufficient for you to login using login.php, not wp-login.php.

At this point, install Better WP Security if you don’t already have it, or some similar login lockdown program (though BWPS does a lot more). If you don’t do this, then it’s pointless to fix your login, isn’t it? Then install Theme My Login (I know this works for me – possibly there are others). Activate both.

Your login then changes to http://yourdomain.???/wordpress/?tml_page=log-in and it works. Now – this might not work for everyone, especially if you use some other login programs or WP-members or other, which is why you saved a backup, right? But for the average site, it may get you back up and into your dashboard, even with WP and theme updates.

Luca says:

How much longer must we wait?

h3t says:

it can visit, but very slow!!

Usman Ahmed says:

Worst hosting service, really.

Keith Sparrow says:

Wondering if you could keep regular updates on the status blog …. right now I have to read through comments to see if there is an update which is not helpful. Even if it’s an hourly/daily update of “nothing has changed” that would be helpful.

email says:

I am intrigued and also interested in what you really are currently talking about below.

Evaldas says:

Anonymous have done it, I bet :)

And any way to log-in and publish new articles, anyone?

Doug says:

IX…. you’re killing me. Been calling for one week experiencing all kinds of issues and comment same… we’re working on it. Please, please, please… get this right.

George says:

Sorry, but this is not a solution, this is a problem you do not want to solve it.

If not solve the problem before the 20th, I want my money back and you will have bad reviews. It’s amazing.

Do I have to activate my IP?
Do I have to activates IPs of who you want to connect?
Does changing the path of wordpress?

Are you kidding?

I want a solution, and this does not help. This is a patch and says a lot about you, and your misguided work. When the problem is resolved, be re-patch? It’s crazy.

Greetings.

Nayeem says:

Very disappointing. I totally understand the technical issues caused by the attach but it is disappointing when IXWebhosting technical support calls it a ISP or my laptop issue.

I called IX yesterday because I was not able to access my wordpress admin panel. I was not aware of the attach yesterday. I was told my IX technical support that this is my ISP or laptop issue because be was able to access my site from IX network. I did not agree with him since all other common websites are working at same time; IX technical support got pissed since I did not agree and hang up on me.

Just one request IX. Please educate your technical support about the issue and ask them to be polite.

That being said, I just submitted a ticket with you guys (#2223024). I am not wordpress expert and I prefer IX to change my login page from wp-admin to something else.

IX - Lisa says:

Nayeem,

I apologize sincerely for your horrible experience. Please let us know what time you called (and in what time zone) so that our management team can investigate your call. That was absolutely unacceptable.

As for the login block – almost all blocks are released, we’ll be updating our blogs shortly – please try again.

Lisa Grice
Director of Customer Operations,
IX

Shawn says:

Yes it seems the blocks have been released. Suggestion to my fellow wordpress designers/developers install Better WP Security as it allows you to easily change your login location. It also shores up a lot of wordpress security holes with very little effort.

ashley says:

@Lisa – By your saying ‘almost all blocks are released’ do you mean that we should start to be able to access the login page for our sites now and be able to get to work on them as normal? Or should we stick with the temporary fix? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Ashley says:

Since IX doesn’t seem to think regular updates are a priority – here’s a chat transcript from Apr 16, 2013 3:19:04 PM EST

Boris Hohlenko: Welcome, my name is Boris, please let me know how can I help you today?
you: Hello Boris. I recently read the comment thread for the Global Server/ WordPress Issues.
you: Is there an updated solution outside of blocking the wp-login pages?
Boris Hohlenko: Unfortunately solution in that provided in blog the only one we currently have.
you: I do not wish to follow IX’s temporary fix steps in the .htaccess file, is there any other way to login?
Boris Hohlenko: Unfortunately no, as I said that solution is currently the only we have.
you: Do you anticipate a solution in the near future?
Boris Hohlenko: If there will an another solution for solving this issue, it will be posted as soon as we have it.
you: That doesn’t answer my question.
you: Do you anticipate that answer in the near future / next day?
Boris Hohlenko: Unfortunately I do not have this kind of information, I can only assure you that issue will be solved as soon as possible.
you: If YOU do not have this kind of information, can you point me in the direction of someone who does?
Boris Hohlenko: Sir, all available information posted in our blog and if there will be any updates on issue, it will be posted in blog. I’m sorry again for this issue.

(I’m actually not a Sir.)

ashley says:

FYI to those who may need further clarification (as I did). I hope this helps in providing further clarification on the issue at hand:

Oleg Boyko: Welcome, my name is Oleg, please let me know how can I help you today?

you: I use WordPress and know about the attack on all WordPress sites. I went to my login pages for my various WP sites and they actually show the login box to log in now (which it didn’t before). Do you know if it’s safe to log in now? I saw on the blog post that someone from IX said the blocks were being released so I need to know if it’s okay to login and if not do I just use the temporary fix?

Oleg Boyko: You may login now. Please make sure that you use correct login details. If you will try with incorrect details, system may consider it as an attack attempt and you might get blocked again

you: Okay, great. So the entire thing is fixed now?

Oleg Boyko: Not entirely. We have provided temporary solution for those, who is still not able to access admin page. Permanent solution is still being working on.

you: Okay so some can access the login page and others can’t?

Oleg Boyko: Correct

you: Is it a danger to login to those who can access and login to the login page?

you: Meaning is there any risk to logging in at this point with no resolution to the attack?

Oleg Boyko: Please don’t worry, attack is over. We are just trying to find stable solution, so it won’t happen again

you: Okay, so basically those who can access the login page are okay to begin working on their sites as normal? And those who have not gained access yet are still asked to use the temporary fix?

Oleg Boyko: Yes, you are right.

you: Okay, I will say it would be good to clarify that to the users in the blog. As that was not made clear to me until now.

you: Thank you for clarifying this. I do have one more question…

you: yesterday one of my wordpress sites allowed me to access the login page and then a little bit later I could not access the page. Is this stable now? I just don’t want to login, make edits, and then get timed out if you will or log out and then later not be able to log back in.

Oleg Boyko: Unfortunately I am not able to tell you what will happen exactly. Issue is not fixed 100 percent now. That is why we still recommend temporary fix for those, who need it. But if you are able to login and you don’t get timeout now, you should be fine later as well

you: Okay. Also, do I have full abilities now as before or is anything limited in terms of my ability to edit my sites?

Oleg Boyko: There is should be no limits

IX - Lisa says:

Ashley,

You are correct, thank you for sharing the information. Blocks were releasing when I last posted, but of course we wanted to do some testing first.
The update to this blog is also going up now, thanks!

@Shawn – great suggestion, following the security steps that WordPress recommends is ALWAYS a good idea (and one of the first is changing the login location)

Thanks!
Lisa Grice
Director of Customer Operations

Miles says:

Thank you, things appear to be working now. I guess better late than never.

ashley says:

@Lisa- you’re welcome. I hope it helps everyone. I will say it would’ve been nice to know that testing was being done before I logged in but I guess my service rep gave me the go-ahead.

Justin says:

Still not able to log into any of my sites. I’m guessing it will take a while to release all of the blocks?

Hello Justin,

As of right now most of the servers should have the blocks lifted. Give it about another hour and try again. If you are still unable to log in please give us a call and we can figure out what the cause of the problem is.

Julie says:

I can now get to the login page, but when I enter my username and password, the page simply refreshes and clears the username and password. So I still can’t get in to the back end of any of my clients’ sites.

IX: Omari J. says:

@Julie – If you’re having troubles getting logged in please give us a call, contact live chat, or submit a ticket for us to look into the problem further.

chinacompanion says:

Thank you!

Justin says:

Same problem as Julie. I will call in later this evening it the problem still persists.

Fri, April 19th, 2013

Karan says:

Hello ,

I Submitted my ticket but no reply its more then 24 hrs I am not able to login in my few WordPress site hosted with Ixwebhosting.

Anyone can suggest another good host?

Thanks

Fri, April 19th, 2013

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hi Karan,

I am very sorry for the delay in your ticket update. I have updated it myself. Please provide us additional information in that ticket and we would be happy to look at it more for you.

Thanks!

Sat, April 20th, 2013

Catalin says:

These changes that were implemented completely messed the installation of new WP blogs. I have been trying to create a new blog for over a week now and it simply doesn’t work.

For some reason, the EasyApp has no problem installing the WordPress, but this is not good enough as it pushes me to a subfolder, while I want it in the root of a domain, and manual installation is blocked.

Are there any works in getting this fixed as well?

Catalin

Sat, April 20th, 2013

IX: Robyn M. says:

Hi Catalin,

I am very sorry you are having so many issues. The changes we made should not effect any installations of WordPress. If you give us a call we would be happy to install WordPress for you in the root of the domain. I have also reopened the ticket in your account and if you respond to that ticket confirming you would like it installed we would be happy to do so. Thanks!

© 2011 IX Web Hosting.